Friday, September 15, 2006

here goes...

So I had this idea.

Short story: over there, in the sidebar ----->

Long story:
In July, I learned to spin on a drop spindle. I was initially hesitant to even pick one up because I'd heard how addictive it could be...and like I needed another hobby. But the lure of the fiber was strong...soon, I was hooked.

I actually took to the drop spindle well and find it a very enjoyable way to spin. But I'm discovering that in the same way I'm a "process" knitter, I'm a "process" spinner too. I want to keep learning, and I'm really, really looking forward to the day when I can purchase a spinning wheel.

I'll be honest...we're not rich, not poor. But the prospects of a wheel purchase are very, very dim. When I casually slipped it into conversation ("you know.....I think that someday.....eventually...I am going to want to buy a wheel") my husband actually laughed out loud. I know he's right; there's alist of $300+ projects as long as my arm that take precedence over a wheel. Plumbing, tires, yada yada. I've been surveying our belongings, considering what to sell on eBay...but there's not a lot left that hasn't been sold for the *Swingset* Fund. But that's another story entirely.

But as I was on the edge of sleep the other night, I had an idea. There's certainly no shortage of knitters on the Internet who like handspun yarn, right? And they're really, really nice people. At least in my experience. Perhaps some of them would help me buy a wheel...and I could spin them some yarn in return for their kindness.

So, *deep breath* in the hope that this will not crash and burn, here's what I'm proposing...I've put up a PayPal donation link to accept donations for my Wheel Fund. Any amount would be deeply appreciated! As a thank-you for every donation of $10, I'd like to send you a 50 gram hank of yarn, spun just for you. I'll send a thank-you e-mail along with a few questions about what kind of yarns you enjoy most.

First things first: We are passionate believers in tithing at our house. I'm convinced that the world would be a drastically better place if we all gave more instead of hoarding stuff for ourselves. We practice this in our everyday lives, teach it to our kids, and I'll practice it here too. At least 10% of all proceeds will be donated to Charkas for Africa, a most stellar cause! Visit the link in the sidebar to learn more about them.

Until I'm able to get a wheel, of course, I'll be spindle-spinning the thank-you yarn. So, depending on the response I get, I can't guarantee that you'll have it next week. But I'll be spinning my heart out until every donor has been thanked!

If you've made it this far, thanks so much for reading. If you're able to give, that's fabulous...even if you're not, you can always pimp my cause on your blog:



(save to your own photo host, if you would) That would be helpful too!

Thanks from the bottom of my heart. :)

7 Comments:

Blogger Carmell said...

i can't this week but i will next week. it won't be much but something cause you came through for me when you didn't have to and i appreciated that, so i want to help you get that wheel!!! PLUS you spin beautiful yarn on that spindle of yours and if you can do that on the spindle i know the ones on the wheel will be just as beautiful!!! i wish i could get my wheel to act right... its name is Satan. good luck with you cause and i will definatly link you!!!

11:25 AM  
Blogger Susan said...

Interesting idea. Good luck!

1:11 AM  
Blogger Meredith said...

Neat idea! I'll be back... ;)

9:50 AM  
Blogger Gryphon said...

How about a wheel discount? That's as good as donating funds, right? I just opened a spinning shop in Easton, MD and am an Ashford dealer. I don't know if you have your heart set on anything in particular, but I'll give you 20% off on any Ashford of your choosing. I can also make recommendations about wheel choice, if you're not sure what's best for you. I love your idea for getting help and am all about furthering such noble pursuits. The world needs more spinners! Oh, and there's also the Babe wheel option, mega-affordable. Write me, tell me how I can best help! tshrew AT hotmail DOT com

10:37 AM  
Blogger Cheryl said...

Are you there yet??? You really need progress bar!

7:09 AM  
Blogger MezzoDiva said...

You are inspiring me to do something very very big. Let's spread the enlightened self interest!

9:55 AM  
Blogger Elaine said...

What a bold idea. I'm happy for you and your wheel. I love the fact that donors are getting something in return, that in itself is noble.

4:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home